zipline
Mar 08
Her eye on the news
Parties and protests

Brazil’s iconic Carnival festival took on a decidedly political air this year as throngs of women engaged in colorful protests against rape, violence towards women, and the country’s blatantly chauvinist president Jair Bolsonaro.

At the festival, many women emblazoned their breasts and buttocks with messages such as “my body, my rules” or “no means no.” The face of late Rio de Janeiro councilor Marielle Franco, a black gay rights activist who was killed in an apparent assassination last year, was visible across the city on flags, stickers, and banners. The Mangueira Samba school paid tribute to the late politician in their championship-winning parade. And at a women-run street party called Calcinhas Bélicas (Warlike Knickers), festival goers were heard chanting Franco’s name.

“This year, Carnival has a completely new face,” said Franco’s widow, Monica Benicio. “Brazil’s feminist movement is one of the most organized in Latin America, and to see Marielle become a symbol of this is very emotional.”

“When Mangueira pays homage to her, when it highlights this woman, it is demanding justice,” added Rafaela Bastos, one of Mangueira’s top dancers.

Bolsonaro’s election — and his flagrant disgust for women’s rights and the LGBT community — had galvanized women across the country, many Carnival attendees said. Bolsonaro has also drawn condemnation for telling a female lawmaker he wouldn’t rape her because she didn’t “deserve” it.

One group of women protesters wore crop tops, pink shorts, and blonde wigs as they posed as “Barbie Fascists” — an ironic reference to the denunciations lobbed at feminists by Bolsonaro and his supporters.

“He is a threat to our rights,” said one Barbie, Priscila Rangel, as she stopped to pose for a photograph.

Read the full story at The Guardian.

Related

Brazil president moves to eliminate references to feminism and homosexuality from public education

4 women killed every day in Brazil in 2019, human rights body reports

Brazil’s new president once told a woman he wouldn’t rape her because she doesn’t ‘deserve’ it

To God's ears

A group of roughly 800 Orthodox Jewish women known as the Women of the Wall had their prayer service at the Western Wall in Jerusalem violently disrupted by thousands of ultra-Orthodox protesters on Friday. The service, which was meant to celebrate the group’s 30th anniversary, had to be moved to the egalitarian side section of the holy site after two of Women of the Wall’s members were injured by protesters, according to a spokesperson from the group.

Women of the Wall has long fought with ultra-Orthodox groups over the right of women to lead prayers at the Western Wall. Ahead of Friday’s service, several prominent rabbis had called on their students to disrupt it. Police said that at least one ultra-Orthodox protester had been arrested for attempting to assault a police officer, but declined to say whether the women at the service had been attacked. In a statement, the Women of the Wall accused police of “abandoning” them as protestors pushed, shoved, and cursed at them.

According to Women of the Wall, the Western Wall Rabbi Shmuel Rabinovitch also sought to sabotage the service by refusing them the right to use a speaker system for the prayer. Instead, they said, Rabinovitch gave another group in the men’s section the right to use their own speaker system, allowing them to drown out the Women of the Wall’s service.

Women of the Wall leader Anat Hoffman said her group refused to be intimidated.

“We have been here for 30 years,” said Hoffman. “And so we will continue, every month of the year, for good.”

Read the full story at Haaretz and The Times of Israel.

Related

Women of the Wall leader detained after prayer service at Jerusalem holy site

Feminist worship group physically, verbally harassed at Western Wall after service

Jewish women’s group banned from offering traditionally-male blessing at Western Wall

Heart emoji

Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II posted on Instagram for the first time on Thursday during a visit to the London Science Museum. In her post, the Queen shared a photo of a letter written by computer pioneer Charles Babbage to her great-great-grandfather Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria. Writing on a touchscreen iPad at the museum, the Queen noted that the letter described Babbage’s “Analytical Engine,” upon which “the first computer programmes were created by Ada Lovelace, a daughter of Lord Byron.”

“Today, as I visit the Science Museum I was interested to discover a letter from the Royal Archives, written in 1843 to my great-great-grandfather Prince Albert,” the Queen wrote. “I had the pleasure of learning about children’s computer coding initiatives and it seems fitting to me that I publish this Instagram post, at the Science Museum which has long championed technology, innovation and inspired the next generation of inventors.”

The Queen signed the post simply: Elizabeth R.

In a comment on the Queen’s post, the Science Museum thanked her for her support, as did many other adoring commenters, some of whom noted the significance of the post’s timing.

“Her Majesty is brilliant,” wrote @gloriam_vanine, appending her comment with several hand-clap emojis. “In the International Women’s Day, she posts a message informing all of us that the first programmer was a woman.”

Read the full story at CNN.

Related

Prime minister praised for wardrobe choice at meeting with Queen Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth II becomes first British monarch to reach Sapphire Jubilee

Annie Leibovitz opens up about shooting intimate portraits of Queen Elizabeth II

Unfair play

In a lawsuit filed on Friday, all 28 members of the world champion U.S women’s soccer team accused the U.S. Soccer Federation of years of “institutionalized gender discrimination.”

In the suit, the players said they received inadequate support, worked in subpar conditions, and played (and won) more games than the men’s national team despite being paid substantially less money than the male players. Gender discrimination, the women’s team argued, impacted not only how they were paid, but also the medical treatment and coaching they received, the frequency and quality of their training, and even their travel arrangements.

The current escalation comes after a longstanding battle over equal pay between the national team players and the USSF. In 2016, five of the team’s top players — Hope Solo, Carli Lloyd, Alex Morgan, Megan Rapinoe, and Becky Sauerbrunn — filed a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, asserting that women players were paid nearly four times less than their male counterparts.

After three years of inaction on the part of the USSF, the EEOC gave the women access to a right-to-sue letter in February. The players now hope to have their lawsuit granted class action status on behalf of all current or former players on the women’s national team since February 4, 2015. If the players win their suit and are awarded back pay and other relief, the settlement could potentially reach into the millions of dollars.

In April 2017, the team signed a new collective bargaining agreement with the USSF that reportedly increased their pay by more than 30 percent. While the agreement fell short of the player’s goal of equal pay, it was hailed at the time as a significant step forward. Now it will be up to courts to determine whether or not true equal pay — and treatment — will be realized.

Read the full story at The New York Times.

Related

FIFA urged to step in over sexual abuse claims in Afghan women’s soccer team

Soccer star Megan Rapinoe suggests men ‘take a few hundred years off’ from leadership roles

Player’s landmark win of soccer’s highest award marred by sexist question she was asked onstage

Kangaroo courts

An Iranian lawyer who represented women accused of immorality for removing their hijabs has reportedly been convicted in a secret trial on charges of crimes against the state.

Nasrin Sotoudeh, 55, has been imprisoned numerous times in apparent retaliation for her work defending women who removed their hijabs in public — a crime in Iran. Sotoudeh had also recently come under fire from the state for her criticism of a decision to limit legal representation for defendants in political cases to just 20 state-approved lawyers. Now, according to the Center for Human Rights in Iran, it appears she will face a “very lengthy sentence” after being convicted in a secret trial in which she herself was refused the right to choose her own lawyer.

While no details of the case have been made public, Hadi Ghaemi, the executive director of the Center, said he had been in contact with Sotoudeh’s husband, Reza Khandan. According to Ghaemi, Khandan told him that his wife had requested that a lawyer of her choosing be allowed to examine her conviction. The request was denied, Khandan said, after the state told her that “the verdict has been issued and the case is closed.” Khandan was sentenced to six years in prison in January for providing updates about the legal proceedings against his wife on Facebook, but he has yet to be imprisoned.

Ghaemi believes Sotoudeh was facing at least seven charges — including collusion against national security, appearing before a court without a hijab, disturbing the peace, anti-state propaganda, and “encouraging corruption and prostitution.” Iranian news media has yet to report on the conviction, but unconfirmed reports have suggested she was sentenced to 34 years in prison and 134 lashes.

Read the full story at The New York Times.

Related

Shots fired as crowd tries to prevent arrest by Iranian morality police of woman in ‘improper’ hijab

In new low, forced hijab protester Masih Alinejad denounced by sister on Iranian TV

Woman who protests compulsory hijab arrested in Iran again, hit with 20-year sentence

03.08.19

Sign up to the bi-weekly newsletter, for all the stories that you need to know, coming to you from global women on the front edge of change.