Skip to main site content.
Justin Schneider expressed no remorse  in court after his sentencing for a felony assault charge. (screenshot via Facebook / KTVA)
Justin Schneider expressed no remorse in court after his sentencing for a felony assault charge. (screenshot via Facebook / KTVA)


Man who strangled woman and masturbated on her goes free without serving jail time

By WITW Staff on September 21, 2018

A man who reached a plea deal, in a case brought against him after he offered a woman a ride in his car and then choked her and masturbated on her, is now free in Alaska.

Justin Schneider — who neither mentioned his victim, nor expressed any remorse during his statement in court — served just one year under house arrest with an ankle bracelet, and will not spend any further time in custody over the August 2017 incident.

Schneider was arrested after he offered a woman a ride from a gas station, drove instead to a dead end, attacked her, strangled her until she was unconscious and masturbated on her, according to reporting by KTVA.

The victim told police her assailant “told her he wasn’t really going to kill her, that he needed her to believe she was going to die so that he could be sexually fulfilled.”

Schneider initially faced four felony charges, including assault and kidnapping, but under a deal with the state pleaded guilty to a single felony assault charge in exchange for a sentence of three years in jail, with two of those years suspended unless he violates parole. (The year spent at home with his wife and children under house arrest counts as the one year he was sentenced to serve.) He also incurred a $300 fine and an amount of restitution to his victim, which is yet to be determined.

While the victim was not present in court to advocate for herself and did not have a voice in the deal Schneider struck with the state, she has one more chance to exercise a legal right against Schneider.

Posted by KTVA 11 News on Thursday, September 20, 2018

District Attorney Andrew Grannik, addressing the court about why he made the deal and the possibility of Schneider reoffending said, “I hope it doesn’t happen.”

“I would like the gentleman to be on notice that that is his one pass — it’s not really a pass, but given the conduct, one might consider that it is,” Grannik added. He also described the loss of Schneider’s job at a local airport a “life sentence.”

Schneider spoke only about himself in his statement to the court, expressing no remorse for his actions and saying, “I’d just like to emphasize how grateful I am for this process. It has given me a year to really work on myself and become a better person, and a better husband, and a better father, and I’m very eager to continue that journey.”

KTVA reporters said they were unable to find the victim for comment and so cannot say how she might continue to be affected by the incident. Watch Schneider’s statement to the court in this KTVA report.

Read the full story at ABC News and KTVA.


Man sentenced to just 90 days house arrest after pleading guilty to rape of 5-year-old girl

New York attorney general abruptly resigns amid shocking physical abuse claims by 4 women

Pick-up artist and his ‘rape van’ not allowed in Australia