‘Too far’

Woman says she filed false domestic violence claim after NFL linebacker broke up with her

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Reuben Foster (56) looks on following the game against the Minnesota Vikings at U.S. Bank Stadium. (Brace Hemmelgarn-USA TODAY Sports)

Appearing in court on Thursday, the ex-girlfriend of professional football player Reuben Foster admitted to making up a domestic assault claim against the linebacker, saying that after charges were filed against him she realized she had taken things “too far.”

Elissa Ennis, 28, testified that she had fabricated her claims against the 24-year-old linebacker out of a desire for a revenge after he broke up with her, and that injuries she showed police had actually been sustained during a prior fight she had with two women a night before the alleged domestic violence took place. Ennis said that Foster had broken up with her the morning after the night of the fight, and that she had attacked him with a coat hanger after he began unpacking her clothes and piling them into a pile, leading him to flee the house.

“I wanted to kill him I was so hurt,” Ennis recalled, adding that she told Foster, “I’m about to fuck your shit up. You’re not going to have a job no more,” before she called police and told them that he had punched her 10 times in the head and back. In her testimony, she also acknowledged having stolen more than $8,000 in cash and two Rolex watches from Foster, and having previously made a false domestic violence claim in 2011 against a boyfriend in Louisiana after he broke up with her.

Ennis had previously recanted her allegations in April, saying that she made the claims in an attempt to extort money from Foster. Officials with the Santa Clara County district attorney’s office have proceeded with charges against him anyway, claiming that they still believed Foster was responsible for the attack based on the evidence. Foster is facing charges of domestic violence, forcefully attempting to prevent a victim from reporting a crime, and possession of an assault weapon that was found in his home. A judge is expected to rule on Wednesday whether the case has enough evidence to go to trial.

Read the full story at The San Francisco Chronicle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *