Civil rights icon and Congressman John Conyers has announced his retirement in the wake of claims that he demanded sex from multiple female staffers who worked for him. In response to denials from Conyers, Marion Brown, a staffer who worked with Conyers for 11 years, went so far as to break a non-disclosure agreement she signed as part of a settlement with the Congressional Black Caucus co-founder in order to publicly defend herself and other women who accused him of sexual misconduct. In recent days, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi had called on Conyers to resign, describing the accusations against him as “serious, disappointing, and very credible,” and the House Ethics Committee had opened an investigation into his behavior.
In a radio interview given on Tuesday with station Praise 102.7, Conyers said he was “retiring today.”
“I’m in the process of putting my retirement plans together and I’ll have more about that very soon,” Conyers said, adding that he still denied the accusations against him. “My legacy can’t be compromised or diminished in any way by what we are going through now. This too shall pass. My legacy will continue through my children.”
Conyers said that he wanted his son, John Conyers III, to fill his vacant seat, setting up a potential conflict with his great-nephew, Ian Conyers, a state senator, who also told The New York Times on Tuesday that he “absolutely” intended to run for the seat.
Read the full story at The Daily Beast.