Kate Beckinsale has revealed that she was targeted by disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein several times — the first time, she said, was when she was just 17.
“I was called to meet Harvey Weinstein at the Savoy Hotel when I was 17. I assumed it would be in a conference room, which was very common,” Beckinsale wrote on Instagram. “When I arrived, reception told me to go to his room. He opened the door in his bathrobe. I was incredibly naive and young and it did not cross my mind that this older, unattractive man would expect me to have any sexual interest in him.”
In the end, Beckinsale wrote, she escaped the encounter “uneasy but unscathed.” But when she encountered Weinstein again a few years later, he asked her if he had “tried anything” with her that night.
“I realized he couldn’t remember if he had assaulted me or not,” Beckinsale wrote. “I said no to him professionally many times over the years — some of which ended up with him screaming at me calling me a cunt and making threats … It speaks to the status quo in this business that I was aware that standing up for myself and saying no to things, while it did allow me to feel uncompromised in myself, undoubtedly harmed my career and was never something I felt supported by anyone other than my family.”
In an essay for The Guardian, actress Léa Seydoux also described a disturbing hotel encounter with Weinstein in which he “suddenly jumped on me and tried to kiss me.”
“I had to defend myself. He’s big and fat, so I had to be forceful to resist him. I left his room, thoroughly disgusted. I wasn’t afraid of him, though. Because I knew what kind of man he was all along,” Seydoux wrote.
Weinstein, who is reportedly heading to sex rehab, has been accused by 3 women of rape and by many more of sexual assault. Weinstein has said that he hopes to come back from rehab with “fresh, new ideas.” Meanwhile, criminal investigations are being opened in two countries in the wake of the allegations. The NYPD on Thursday confirmed that it was investigating accusations from a 2004 incident, HuffPost reported. The blockbuster story published by The New Yorker earlier this week contained accusations by actress Lucia Stoller, who said that Weinstein forced her to perform oral sex on him in 2004 at his Manhattan office. And The Guardian reported that London’s Metropolitan Police have opened up an investigation into sexual abuse allegations made against Weinstein.