In yet another hard-to-fathom move from the Trump administration, a 2014 report on the impact of sexual violence has been abruptly taken off of the White House website. The discovery that the report, titled “Rape and Sexual Assault: A Renewed Call to Action,” had been removed was reportedly made on Wednesday morning by Alexandra Brodsky, a civil rights attorney and co-founder of KnowYourIX, a group that is working to end gender-based violence in schools.
“I went looking for it because I’m working on briefing for a client who’s a survivor and was looking for some literature about the impact of sexual violence and that’s been a really helpful resource for that kind of research,” Brodsky told HuffPost. “But it was no longer on the White House website. It’s not anywhere on the White House website.”
The decision to take down the report is the latest discouraging sign from an administration that had previously publicly suggested that 90 percent of sexual assault claims are bogus. Trump himself has been accused of sexual assault by at least a dozen women, been caught on tape bragging about groping women by the genitals, and claimed that sexual assault in the military is caused by the mere presence of women — among other disturbing and ignorant remarks.
Speaking with HuffPost, Brodsky noted that taking down the “Call to Action” was “a discouragement from action,” a point that may already have been hammered home by Betsy DeVos’ ongoing efforts to reform Title IX guidelines, which are meant to protect victims of sexual assault.
“This is a summary of really important and, in some cases, government-funded work that was done to understand the causes and effects of sexual and gender violence,” said Brodsky. “What does it mean that the Trump administration doesn’t want the public to have that information?”
Read the full story at HuffPost.