Though a deadlocked jury led to a mistrial in the sexual assault case against Bill Cosby, the actor’s lawyer told CNN that the proceedings were “hard on” and “unfair” to his client.
“Imagine it’s you being asked to defend age-old accusations — how do you defend that?” attorney Brian McMonagle said. “Mr. Cosby is fortunate he is able to afford good counsel and has resources to conduct investigations.”
Cosby had been charged with drugging and sexually assaulting Andrea Constand, the former director of operations for Temple University’s women’s basketball team, in 2004. Cosby admitted that he gave Constand three half tablets of Benadryl to help her “relax,” but maintained that the encounter was consensual.
The 79-year-old is legally blind and walks with a cane, a point the lawyer was certain to touch on. “(It was) hard on him,” McMonagle said. “When he got there, he had been awakened at home by us, told that he had to get here. He’s blind, he’s about 80 years old and my heart really broke for him that day.”
Well, here’s something truly heartbreaking: More than 60 women have leveled sexual assault allegations against Cosby, with many of them claiming that he drugged and raped them. It’s possible that up to 13 of those accusers could be called to testify in a retrial, which Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele has vowed to bring against Cosby, possibly within the next three months. Speaking Monday on Good Morning America, McMonagle addressed that possibility, saying, “The law doesn’t permit it. It doesn’t permit old, unproved accusations to be used in a trial.” The judge in the case had initially ruled that those women were not allowed to testify in Cosby’s trial, and McMonagle said “I believe in my heart” that the judge won’t reverse that decision.
Read more at CNN.