‘No more pain’

Woman accused of inciting her high school boyfriend to suicide over text message found guilty

Attorney Cory Madera and his defendant Michelle Carter during her trial in juvenile court, in Taunton, Mass., June 12, 2017. (Faith Ninivaggi/Pool via The New York Times)

Twenty-year-old Michelle Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter on Friday when a Massachusetts judge ruled that she had incited her boyfriend, 18-year-old Conrad Roy III, to commit suicide through a series of persuasive text messages. On July 13, 2014, Roy had been found dead inside his pickup truck after he flooded it with carbon monoxide using a gas-powered water pump.

According to Roy’s family, the high schooler had suffered from depression and had previously attempted suicide before. According to court documents, Carter had initially tried to encourage Roy not to kill himself. Just weeks before Roy’s suicide, he had texted Carter to suggest that they could “be like Romeo and Juliet at the end.”

“F— No!” she wrote back. “WE ARE NOT DYING.”

Soon, however, Carter’s tone started to change.

“So I guess you aren’t gonna do it then, all that for nothing … I’m just confused like you were so ready and determined,” Carted texted Roy, a day before he was found dead.

“I am gonna eventually,” Roy responded. “I really don’t know what I’m waiting for … but I have everything lined up.”

“No, you’re not, Conrad. Last night was it. You keep pushing it off and you say you’ll do it but u never do. Its always gonna be that way if u don’t take action,” Carter replied. “You’re just making it harder on yourself by pushing it off, you just have to do it. If u don’t do it now you’re never gonna do it.”

“You’re finally going to be happy in heaven,” wrote Carter in another message. “No more pain. It’s ok to be scared and it’s normal. I mean, you’re about to die.”

Roy and Carter first met in 2011, and later started a romantic relationship that her attorney said had mostly consisted of online conversations and text messages. Over the course of two years leading up to Roy’s death, the attorney said, the couple had only met a few times in person. Carter, who was tried in a juvenile court because she was 17 at the time of Roy’s death, could face up to 20 years in prison.

Read the full story at The Washington Post.


Oxford University student who sent ‘sorry for raping you’ text walks free

14-year-old who streamed her suicide on Facebook suffered years of sexual and physical abuse

Jim Carrey facing wrongful death suit over ex-girlfriend’s suicide

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *