Lucie Myslikova, the 16-year-old Girl Scout in the Czech Republic seen standing face to face with a neo-Nazi marcher in a photo that went viral last week, has been put under police protection, the Czech government said. No other details were given about what the protection will entail, but authorities at the Center Against Terrorism and Hybrid Threats said on Sunday said that the move was in response to a number of threats made against the girl since the photo of her drew worldwide attention, according to The Associated Press. Myslikova said she was worried by the threats and that she was grateful for the protection.
Prior to becoming the subject of threats, Myslikova spoke with The Associated Press and discussed the photo that captured attention and praise all around the world.
“I think it makes sense to be seen and to be heard,” Myslikova told the AP. “I think it’s important. I think young people should comment on public issues, to express their views.” She was among about 300 who showed up at a rally held by the far-right Workers Party of Social Justice in Czech’s second-largest city, Brno. In an interview with The Washington Post, Myslikova said she wasn’t scared at any point during the confrontation. She also revealed what she and the man she was photographed standing across from talked about.
“We talked about the nation, about borders, about migration,” she explained to the AP. When the man told her, “those refugees will rape you,” Myslikova explained to the Post, “I told him they’re fleeing a war. This is about life.”
In the AP interview, she added, with a dose of wisdom that seems beyond her years, “I don’t want to judge him. I don’t fight against those people, I fight against their views.”
And about that photo having gone viral: “It’s a strange feeling,” she said. “It’s weird that someone happened to take picture of me and at the same time people can’t see how many people were around who were doing the same as me. I wasn’t there alone.”
Read the full interview at The Associated Press.