A former Fox News Radio Network correspondent has filed a lawsuit alleging that she was fired in a “blatant act of retaliation” just 24 hours after she used the company’s hotline to report gender discrimination. Jessica Golloher, a former Middle East and North Africa correspondent for Fox News Radio, said she had emailed 21st Century Fox’s independent investigator on April 17 to talk about discrimination she was facing at work.
“Within 24 hours of sending this email and knowing that Ms. Golloher had previously made internal complaints about gender discrimination, Ms. Golloher, was, without any prior warning, fired — effective August 2017,” the lawsuit alleged.
“Simply put, any purported desire on the part of Fox to clean up its culture and actually encourage employees to come forward with complaints about discrimination in the workplace is nothing more than a move to salvage its reputation, as illustrated by the immediate and severe retaliation Fox took against Ms. Golloher following her protected activity,” the lawsuit said.
In the lawsuit, Golloher said that the company had “degraded and humiliated” her after they forced her to do “secretarial” work for a male reporter at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Golloher had been based in Moscow for six years prior to the run-up to the Olympics, only to later be told that the network had decided to assign Simon Owen as the lead reporter for the games. A non-Russian speaker, Owen received additional staff and resources that Golloher had never been offered, and Golloher was assigned to work as Owen’s assistant. After she complained about the state of affairs, Golloher claims, she was then ordered to work on the overnight shift.
A Fox News spokesman denied the claims on Thursday, saying that “her allegations of discrimination and retaliation are baseless.” A source told Buzzfeed News that Golloher’s termination had not been retaliatory, but instead was the result of larger budget cuts.
Read the full story at Buzzfeed.