Bill Cosby will be forced to go to trial in the felony sexual assault case against him in Pennsylvania, a judge ruled today. The ruling followed a hearing and court appearance by Cosby today in Norristown, Pa., in which a statement from his accuser, Andrea Constand, was read aloud in court. The statement detailed allegations that he gave her three blue pills that made her dizzy and then sexually assaulted her as she drifted in and out of consciousness. Constand, a former Temple University athletic department employee, gave the statement to police in 2005, telling them that she told Cosby she couldn’t speak and then started to panic. She said Cosby penetrated her with his fingers, and when she awoke, her bra was in a different position. Cosby, in his own statement to police, said the encounter was consensual and that she didn’t say no as he put his hands down her pants.
”Everything was blurry and dizzy. I felt nauseous,” the statement read.
The hearing Tuesday was to determine whether prosecutors had enough evidence to proceed to trial. District Judge Elizabeth McHugh ruled that there was probable cause, and 78-year-old Cosby will go to trial on the charges. Constand previously sued Cosby, which he settled in 2006 after testifying about his use of quaaludes to seduce women. He has not yet entered a plea in this case and will appear for his arraignment in July.
Here’s the scene as Cosby arrived in court today.
Read the full story from The Associated Press.