“Sasha and Malia talk with actor Ryan Reynolds while greeting dinner guests in the Blue Room.” That’s how the official caption on the above photo, captured by official White House photographer Pete Souza, reads. However anyone can plainly see that there’s much more to this story here. Last Thursday, Sasha and Malia Obama attended their first State Dinner, in honor of Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and the first daughters had the chance to rub elbows with a host of native-Canadians who have hit it big in American showbiz. Over the weekend, the White House released more photos of the affair, and this one really stood out for the candidly cute moment of adolescent sisterhood that it captured. It really doesn’t look like the three of them are talking. It’s more like Sasha, 14, is talking to Reynolds, who’s the star of the superhero flick Deadpool that’s currently in theaters and Malia, 17, is offering some commentary. Due to the insufficient caption, all we can do now is speculate.
Here’s what really happened, according to our imagination: Channeling the late film critic Roger Ebert, Malia, eavesdropping on the conversation, said, “Yes, Sasha and Ryan, Deadpool was good. Two-thumbs up! Much better than The Green Lantern … which we won’t talk about.”
Or maybe it was just a good old fashioned photo bomb. In any event, there are several more new photos of the first family at Thursday’s State Dinner. Oh, and those pretty dresses the first daughters wore? There weren’t cheap — they retailed for $19,000 and $17,000 respectively, according to Yahoo Style. Click through the slideshow below to view them.
- Malia and Sasha Obama talk with Prime Minister Trudeau and his mother Margaret Trudeau during a reception on the Truman Balcony.
- The First Family walks with the Prime Minister and Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau down the Cross Hall toward the State Dining Room prior to the entertainment.
- The President talks to Malia prior to the State Dinner.
- The First Lady and Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau react to the President joking about the Stanley Cup.
- President Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama welcome Prime Minister Trudeau and Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau to the White House.
- The President, Prime Minister, First Lady and Mrs. Grégoire-Trudeau wave from the Blue Room Balcony following the ceremony.
- Sasha and Malia talk with actor Ryan Reynolds while greeting dinner guests in the Blue Room.