Fox News just removed a major entry requirement for its lower-tier August 6th Republican debate, which ushers in a broader range of candidates, including the GOP’s only female candidate, Carly Fiorina. Previously, Fox said candidates needed to poll at least 1 percent in an average of five recent national polls. Now, the polling barrier is removed. This earlier debate will take place ahead of Fox’s main debate amongst the top 10 candidates as measured by an average of national polls. Michael Clemente, a Fox executive vice president, reportedly told Politico, “Due to the overwhelming interest in the Fox News Facebook Debate Event Night on Aug. 6 and in a concerted effort to include and accommodate the now 16 Republican candidate field—the largest in modern political history—Fox News is expanding participation in the 5 p.m. Eastern time debate to all declared candidates whose names are consistently being offered to respondents in major national polls as recognized by Fox News.”
Read the full story at The New York Times.