July 1, 2015 marks what would have been the late Princess Diana’s 54th birthday. One of the great public figures of the last century, the Queen of Hearts charmed the world with her self-possessed poise, her philanthropic heart, and her megawatt smile. She once famously said, “Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you.”
In honor of Diana’s memory, PEOPLE reports, Prince William has chosen her favorite photographer, Mario Testino, to capture the official photos of the royal couple’s daughter, Charlotte, after her christening this Sunday. It’s a moment that Diana no doubt would’ve relished as a young grandmother of two had her life not been tragically cut short.
Testino shot Princess Diana’s famous Vanity Fair portraits in 1997, and has photographed several other members of the royal family, including William and Kate for their engagement in 2010. He responded saying, “I am overwhelmed and honored to be chosen to document this occasion and to carry on the documentation of the family that is the soul of this country, a country that has given me so much.” Below, take a look back at photos of the fashion icon, humanitarian, and mother of two who became the People’s Princess.
- Princess Diana receives a kiss on the hand from trainee electrician Danny Walters, 29, during a walk in Southwark, South London
- Princess Diana accompanied by her sons vacationing in Austria.
- Diana, Princess of Wales (left) with Elizabeth Dole president of the American Red Cross in Washington, D.C.
- Diana, Princess of Wales, in London.
- Diana, Princess of Wales listening to children during her visit to the British international school.
- Diana, the Princess of Wales at a gala dinner for landmine victims.
- Diana, Princess of Wales, in her wedding dress.
- Prince and Princess of Wales kissing during their wedding.
- European Royal Families who attended the wedding of Prince Charles (C-R) and Lady Diana (C-L) the Princess of Wales.
- Charles, Prince of Wales, and bride, Lady Diana, wave the crowd in coach as they pass through Fleet Street after their wedding at St Paul’s Cathedral.
- Charles, Prince of Wales, kisses the hand of his bride, Lady Diana, on the balcony of Buckingham Palace after their wedding.
- Diana, Princess of Wales, wearing a Japanese Kimono during her first visit to the ancient city of Kyoto, central Japan.
- Princess Diana during her visit to the Footscray Park in suburb of Melbourne.
- Diana, Princess of Wales waving to the crowd as she arrives at the Cite de la Musique at La Villette in Paris.
- Princess Diana enjoying the waters of Indian Castle Beach while vacationing on Nevis with her sons William (front) and Harry (2nd L).
- Princess Diana and her family watching the parade march past as part of the commemorations of VJ Day.
- Photographer Mario Testino in front of “Diana, Princess Of Wales By Mario Testino” at Kensington Palace.