In a raid carried out deep in the Sambisa Forest on Tuesday, troops from the Nigerian Armed Forces rescued 200 girls and 93 women. They also destroyed at least four camps run by Boko Haram there. Officials said none of the girls rescued are any of the girls abducted by Boko Haram last year in the northeastern Nigerian village of Chibok. That incident sparked the social media movement “Bring Back Our Girls,” the founder of which, Obiageli Ezekwesili, spoke last week at the Women in the World Summit in New York City about the urgency of finding the girls who were taken by the extremist militant group. “They are not the Chibok girls, Army spokesman Col. Sani Usman told The Associated Press about the women and girls rescued on Tuesday, highlight that despite this victory against the extremist group, authorities in Nigeria have a long way to go in rooting out the corrosive influence of Boko Haram.
Read the full story at The Associated Press.