Eloise Parry, a 21-year-old British student, died two weeks ago after taking diet pills she’d purchased online. On Monday, her distraught mother released a statement denouncing the company that sold her daughter the poisonous pills, which are thought to have contained a toxic chemical called dinitrophenol, or DNP, which has been shown to cause rapid weight loss. “We advise the public not to take any tablets or powders containing DNP, as it is an industrial chemical and not fit for human consumption,” she wrote in the statement. “DNP is not a miracle slimming pill. It is a deadly toxin.” A 2011 report in the Journal of Medical Toxicology found that DNP was responsible for at least 62 deaths.
Read the full story at BuzzFeed.